Want to have the top 9 food ingredients to avoid list? Want to know what foods they can be found in, so you can know, in an instance which foods to avoid while shopping? Would you like this information backed by research?
The Top 9 Food Ingredients to Avoid ListThe Top 9 Food Ingredients to Avoid List: High-fructose corn syrup, Artificial flavours, MSG (Mono-Sodium Glutamate), Partially hydrogenated oil, Food colouring, Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Benzoate, Carrageenan,… Click To Tweet
1. High-fructose corn syrup
What is it: HFCS is a highly processed form of glucose that is manufactured from genetically modified corn.
Other Names: Corn sugar
Found in: processed foods e.g. ketchup, soda, and salad dressing, candy, breakfast cereals and snack foods.
Diseases Associated: weight gain, insulin resistance, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
- Increases in belly fat and blood sugar levels: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19381015/
- Trigger inflammation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518440/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4811063/
- Heart disease, cancer and diabetes: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3492709/
2. Artificial flavours
What is it: man-made chemicals
Found in: processed foods e.g. high flavoured food
Diseases Associated: reproductive issues, neurotoxicity, and cancer.
- Red blood cell production reduced and a toxic effect on their bone marrow cells: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28832835/
- Toxic to bone marrow cells in mice: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28559742/
3. MSG (Mono-Sodium Glutamate)
What is it: processed flavour enhancer
Found in: frozen dinners, salty snacks and canned soups.
Diseases Associated: migraines, obesity, and Alzheimer’s disease
Other names: 40 different names, including yeast extract, citric acid, natural flavours, and maltodextrin.
- Caused harmful neurological effects and impaired growth and development: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/5778021/
- However, this additive is likely to have little to no effect on human brain health as it’s unable to cross the blood-brain barrier: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19571220/
- Associated with weight gain and metabolic syndrome: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2610632/
4. Partially hydrogenated oil
What is it: trans fat
Other names: Palm Oil, Shortening
Found in: baked goods, salad dressings, crackers. margarine, microwave popcorn and biscuits.
Diseases Associated: obesity, diabetes, and heart disease
- Higher risk of heart disease: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3955571/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11253967/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15781956/
- 40% higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11556298/
5. Food colouring
What is it: derived from petroleum (like Red 3, Yellow 6, and Green 3)
Found in: cookies, cakes, and sugary drinks
Diseases Associated: Cancer, allergic reactions. Thyroid tumours
- Blue 1, Red 40, Yellow 5 and Yellow 6 have been associated with allergic reactions in some people: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23026007/
- Hyperactivity in children, although another study showed that some children may be more sensitive than others: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15613992/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20551163/
- Cancer-causing effects of certain food dyes: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2824305/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2160137/
6. Sodium Nitrite
What is it: preservatives
Found in: processed meats e.g. bacon, sausage, hot dogs and ham
Diseases Associated: Cancer, diabetes.
- Risk of stomach cancer: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16865769/
- Risk of colorectal, breast and bladder cancer: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108955/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29274927/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28070638/
- Type 1 diabetes:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5065663/
7. Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Benzoate
What is it: preservatives are sometimes added to soda to prevent mould from growing
Found in: Soda, salad dressings, pickles, fruit juices and condiments.
Diseases Associated: a known carcinogen that is also linked with serious thyroid damage
- Increased hyperactivity in 3-year-old children: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15155391/
- ADHD: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22538314/
- Cancer development: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4745501/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17718179/
What is it: food additive extracted from seaweed to help thicken foods
Found in: low-fat dairy products and dairy alternatives e.g. almond milk, cottage cheese, ice cream, coffee creamers and dairy-free products like vegan cheese.
Diseases Associated: gastrointestinal diseases (Crohn’s disease, abdominal pain, etc.) and inflammation, which then leads to heart disease, cancers and diabetes with constant inflammation.
- Increased levels of fasting blood sugar and glucose intolerance: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4390184/
- Triggered inflammation: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22579587/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26786873/
- Intestinal ulcers and growths: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1242073/
9. Artificial Sweeteners
What is it: Chemicals
Other Names: aspartame, sucralose, saccharin and acesulfame potassium.
Found in: diet foods and beverages
Diseases Associated: links to cancer, migraines, weight gain, craving sweets, increased risk of metabolic syndrome, Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- No effect on blood sugar control in 128 people with diabetes: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14647086/
- Headaches in some people: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3277925/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7936222/
More Information: Diet / Nutrition / Herbs
Would you like more Information on your diet and lifestyle or would you like know more about nutrition or would you like to know more about herbs? Then simply click on the relevant button below.