Top 9 Ancient Superfoods to Boost your Health
Want a quick way to know what are the top ancient superfoods and their primary health giving action so you can know in an instance which ancient superfood to buy for you? Would you like this information backed by research?
Product Links and Guarantee
I use and highly recommend the recommended supplement companies. I attach these links for ease in case you would like to buy these products. Please note these are affiliate links which provides a (very small) commission and helps support Ultimate Health Check to produce further health information. Thank you for any support. Guarantee: I would not recommend any companies if I did not believe in them and their products and/or use it myself and/or recommend it to my clients.
Top 9 Ancient Superfoods to Boost your HealthTop 9 Ancient Superfoods to Boost your Health: Cacao, Camu Camu, Chlorella, Collagen, Lucuma, Maca, Matcha, Moringa, Turmeric Click To Tweet
1. Cacao: FOOD OF THE GODS
Main benefit: Heart Health / Blood pressure
Incredibly high in antioxidants, as well as iron, magnesium and dietary fibre, cacao is good for the heart and can reduce blood pressure and lower bad cholesterol. It’s not the same as cocoa, which is processed and loses most of the health benefits that are found in raw cacao.
- Heart diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol are non-existent in this tribe: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3835452/
- Reduced the risk of death from heart disease by 50%: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16505260/
2. Camu Camu: PERUVIAN FRUIT
Main Benefit: Antioxidant / Vitamin C
A fruit that’s native to the Peruvian Amazon, Camu Camu is a potent source of vitamin C (one serving contains 1100 percent of your daily required dose, which is more than nine times the amount found in a medium orange).
- Reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4296744/
- Rich in powerful antioxidants (1600% of the daily recommended intake).
- Powerful anti-inflammatory: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4296744/
3. Chlorella: GREEN ALGAE
Main Benefit: Nutrient Dense
The green microalgae is rich in chlorophyll and beta-carotene—typically only available when eating a wide variety of fruits and veggies— as well as vitamin C, iron and protein. It’s typically used to promote better immune system function and manage blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Complete protein – Contains all 9 essential amino acids / 40-60% protein: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1364032114002342
- Contains Iron and Vitamin C: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26561078/
- Showed markers of increased immune activity: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22849818/
- May help lower cholesterol: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11347287/
- Lower blood pressure readings than participants who took the placebo: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19811362/
4. Collagen: GLUE
Main benefits: Skin, Bone and Muscle Health
Improves skin hydration because collagen nourishes the dermis and increases the manufacture of hyaluronic acid, which can hold 1000x its weight in water. There are also benefits for joint health, cardiovascular function, bone-mineral density and overall well-being.
- Increased skin hydration and a significant reduction in wrinkle depth compared with a control group: https://www.jmnn.org/article.asp?issn=2278-1870;year=2015;volume=4;issue=1;spage=47;epage=53;aulast=Borumand
- Help improve symptoms of osteoarthritis and reduce joint pain overall: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17076983/, http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rbgg/v19n1/1809-9823-rbgg-19-01-00153.pdf
- Gained significantly more muscle mass and strength: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4594048/
5. Lucuma: GOLD OF THE INCAS
Main Benefit: Sweetener
Makes the perfect sweetener for smoothies, energy balls and desserts—especially for diabetics or those watching their blood sugar. It contains B vitamins, calcium and iron and is rich in antioxidants.
- 75% less sugar than the same amount of table sugar: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/ndb/
- Protect against diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and preventing blood sugar spikes after a meal or snack: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27863994/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18287346/
- Promote healthy blood sugar levels: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29628808/
- Blood-sugar-lowering mechanisms comparable to certain antidiabetic drugs: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19459727/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26212989/
6. Maca: PERUVIAN GINSENG
Main Benefits: Increase Fertility, Sex Drive and Energy
It is a really great adaptogen that helps the body with stamina and resiliency when combatting stress. Promote hormonal health, restore and heighten sexual desire and make you stronger.
- Improves sexual desire: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12472620/
- improved semen quality in both infertile and healthy men: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27621241/
- Alleviates menopausal symptoms including hot flashes and interrupted sleep: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21840656/
- Protect bone health: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20616517/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19689071/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16466876/
- Mood, energy levels, sickness has been proven to be improved by consumption of red and black maca: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5039502/
- Improvement in endurance e.g. exercise: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19781622/
Main Benefit: Antioxidant / Weight Loss
Matcha has long been touted for its antioxidant benefits.
- Improves Memory and concentration: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28056735/
- Catechins (antioxidants) in matcha is up to 137 times greater than in other types of green tea: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14518774/
- During moderate exercise increased fat burning by 17%: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18326618/
8. Moringa: MIRACLE TREE
Main Benefit: Blood Sugar Balance
- Blood sugar and blood pressure regulation, protection of organs like the liver, kidneys, heart and lungs and reduced fasting blood sugar levels by 13.5%, on average: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18326618/
9. Turmeric: INDIAN SAFFRON
Main Benefit: Anti-inflammatory (e.g. Pain)
- Joint pain, inflammation and issues related to stomach, skin and liver: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5003001/
- Matches effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs, without the side effects: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19594223/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10404539/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15489888/
- Beneficial herb in cancer treatment: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18462866/
- Delaying or even reversing many brain diseases and age-related decreases in brain function: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3281036/
Note 1: Spirulina main benefit: Nutrient Dense (However Chlorella has higher % of nutrients)
Note 2: Wheatgrass main benefit: Similar actions and nutrients to Spirulina and Chlorella. Pre-caution: if sensitive to Gluten best not to consume Wheatgrass.
More Information: Ultimate MOT Health Package / Nutrition E-Course
The best way to tell what superfood would be best for you is to run some functional diagnostic tests to reveal where you are deficient or imbalanced. This can be done by undertaking the Ultimate Health MOT. For more information click on the button below.
If interested in knowing more about Nutrition generally click on the button below.